I don’t know about you, but it seems like my office is constantly catering for birthday after birthday, corporate function after corporate function. Last month I think i could count on one hand how many days we DIDN’T have some sort of corporate catering, whether it was for a birthday, or a lunch meeting with a new client or even a larger corporate event.
I started to notice that all this catered food; albeit delicious, was adding a few extra centimetres to my waist! So i thought for the next birthday in the office, rather than getting in some corporate caterers to put on a spread I’ll make a luscious lemon meringue pie that everyone will love, without the calories. I ended up going down to the kitchens of one company providing corporate catering in Brisbane and suggested this lovely recipe for our next corporate event.
1 1/4 cups wholemeal plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon juice
1 tablespoon water
Filling and Meringue
2/3 cup honey
1/3 cup arrowroot
1 1/4 boiling water
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
5 eggs separated
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt. Cut butter into flour mixture until pieces are the size of peas.
- Combine egg lemon juice, and water. Slowly blend into flour mixture, being careful not to overmix.
- Roll out dough to fit 23cm pie pan. Press dough in pan, then press fork around the edges of the dough.
- In top of a double boiler, combine honey, arrowroot and salt. Add boiling water and cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, making sure that water does not touch bottom of boiler.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup lemon juice, lemon peel, and egg yolks. Cook about 10 to 12 minutes stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. remove from heat.
- Beat egg white until frothy. Slowly add teaspoon of lemon juice and continue beating until soft peaks form. Add honey and vanilla, and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- When filling comes to room temperature, place in a baked pastry shell. Top with meringue.
- Bake in preheated 200C oven for 6-8 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
There you have it a relatively simple recipe that won’t add too much to your waistline. But remember, as with all desserts, eat in moderation! If you’re not to skilled in the kitchen, or don’t have the right utensils, this activity might seem like an expensive and time consuming practice. If that sounds like you then don’t hesitate to contact some corporate caterers. We have done previous work with corporate catering Brisbane, a collection of chefs who have the philosophy of providing healthy corporate catering for functions and events throughout the city. They tend to focus on larger corporate events and have all of their menus listed online. You can also order everything you need for your function straight off the web.